Duties and Taxes: What?

I was looking online for any info pertaining to how duties and taxes are computed in case I bring home a bulky electronic item back to PH, but my searches landed on various non-gov sites who are altruistic enough to offer, well, some handy information. Nonetheless, I still did not find what I was looking for -- even after skimming through the Bureau's website. I did found, however, an FAQs (the most informative section in their site) which somehow could still be misinterpreted by some (their staff included, hah!). Hence they have this one line disclaimer at the bottom of that FAQ section that says..

"Note: This FAQs is merely a guide and does not contain all Customs rules and regulations."


So what comprises the fees being charged to the items subject to duties and taxes? Can we at least get an idea of around how much we should be preparing once we get to customs at the airport? And where does all those fees will go, or at least what's the basis of their computation? Has anyone seen this info? Should this be made available to the general public?

At least I can be certain that "yes" is the answer to my last question =)

I came across this blog from a guy who had a terrible experience with the digital media player he purchased online in Sg. He ended up paying almost half the cost of the purchased item. Check out this page for the full story. He even published the receipts and corresponding fees charged that doesn't clearly justify fair cost. You will be surprised at the fees.

I visited Singapore Customs website to see if such info are furnished in their website (and maybe to make some sort of comparison? haha. Okay, okay, I can't compare Ph with Sg. I just hope Ph will make some improvements someday... i really hope.. really hope). Anyhow, I'm happy to see that SG have made all these transparent, even the fees were documented.

SG Customs: Info on Duties and Taxes
SG Customs: Documentation and Fees


Some useful information (I hope..)

Ph Gov Forum: Some Customs Tax Guidelines
PH Embassy in Sg: Duty and Tax Free Priveleges
PH Bureau of Customs FAQs

c",)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! Thanks for dropping by. Yes, I would love to know your thoughts.

(The word verification that will appear is a simple automated spam filtering, just ensuring comments being posted are not computer-generated)