PhotoBlog: iPhoto's Saturation Treatment and What is Color Space?

On this post I will talk about two things. iPhoto's unusual saturation treatment and basic info on Color Space.

iPhoto Saturation Treatment (?)
When I started using iPhoto, I was already contented with the simple image editing capability it can offer. Until the need to put a text on a certain image I'm editing sprung up, I began searching for a more advanced yet FREE photo-editing software. Because getting a licensed photoshop will cost me an arm and a leg.

Anyway, I spotted a certain degree of saturation embedded on every image I open in Apple's iPhoto [and Preview]. It only became pretty evident when I was tryin' to do serious manipulation of one particular image through Gimp. I initially thought it was a flaw on GIMP since it's just a free software. But after comparing the initial display of images on both iPhoto and GIMP, and searching the net to see if other users have noticed the same snag, it was actually iPhoto's unusual behavior. (You will also observe this if you open an iPhoto-edited picture on Gimp/Photoshop as it will prompt you that the image you are opening have color profile attached to it -- an ICC or Camera RGB profile in a technical term). I initially did not consider this as an issue though, because iPhoto's way of bumping up colors before you do any form of adjustments is quite remarkable (to some extent, hehe). Of course, more often than not, images with a fair amount of saturation is more striking than a normal picture (non-PP'd images I mean). This is why, I believe, there's a "vivid" option in most digicams.

"Should I get bothered with this?" some people unaware of this might ask. Probably you will, once you get a li'l pedantic about the images you want to share to your friends. Or once you engage yourself into digital photography, where you will begin to appreciate colors and recognize between a dull and vibrant colors. You will also find the need to pay attention to this color details as you start publishing your images to the web. I'm sure you don't want surprises like being convinced that your images look just perfect, believing that you (or iPhoto for instance) have properly adjusted and balanced the color tones, only to find out that they look dull on somebody else's browsers. This is where gaining some knowledge about "color space" comes into play.

Color Space
The picture you see on your screen MAY not display the same vibrant colors on other monitors (even if the monitor is calibrated). What I'm trying to say is, if your photos are posted on the web, some people viewing them may NOT likely see the same lively colors you expect them to experience. Like some photos I initially published on Flickr (which I immediately replaced after discovering this), they appear with vivid colors on my laptop. But I got a bit flustered after seeing them on another computer that uses IE browser. Which revealed that mac-based browsers would actually display slightly different colored images from that of a windows-based browser. Just to clarify, I'm not implying any superiority or flaws between the capabilities of these browsers, applications, and systems I'm mentioning here. It's basically about the browser's color management. Internet browsers they treat or handle color attributes quite differently. You will be inclined to think that some sites accepts your photos as they are (whether or not there's an embedded ICC profile in your images), while other sites (Flickr, for example) simply removes them. To be safe, just use the Adobe RGB or sRGB as your working space when editing images so as to retain a balanced or as much color as possible.

This is critical if you're designing a webpage or showcasing your precious digital snaps. To some, this may just be a fraction of what they're doing, but to professional photo-enthusiasts & web designers, I believe this will play a significant part as they do their usual image post-processing. So I think a good understanding of color space is as important as not losing details from your original [raw] images. Well, I'm not gonna talk much about color space here because I found a site which provide a good discussion of what color space really is, and why it is important (especially to digital photographers and web designers).

check out this link to know more about this.
(I just want to give credits to TECHtata, and Ryan Brenizer who authored and shared this good article [see link] that offers a straightforward explanation of color space basics)

Hope you find these useful. c",)

2 comments:

vanessa said...

very nice explanation, Jeff! I say, print ém! Nothing beats looking at your photos in print. That way, you get to enjoy the vivid colors (or the lack of it) w/o having to defend to someone that it "looks" just right on your monitor/browser =)

Have a good one!

p.s.
I'm loving your site! It's very informative... but the black/blue colors just doesn't seem right on my eyes. heehee. =)

jfkinetics said...

haha, thanks, thanks! =)

black and blue are actually two of my favorite colors.
I love black & white (esp. in photos) and red & blue (the colors where I hide my superhero identity, haha)

thanks for visiting vany!

God bless. ciao! c",)

Post a Comment

Hello there! Thanks for dropping by. Yes, I would love to know your thoughts.

(The word verification that will appear is a simple automated spam filtering, just ensuring comments being posted are not computer-generated)