They will know...

It all boils down to one.. i.e. Love :)

Jesus, when asked which is the greatest commandment, gave this answer.. "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' (Matt 22:36-39)

Yes, it's easy to pour out our love to someone we already love, yet it's difficult to love those who have offended or hurt us. But God placed strong emphasis on the importance of loving, that He even instructed us to love our enemies, as recorded in Matthew 5:44.

And here's a good reminder.. I like these verses...

"My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity.
Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart." (Prov 3.1-3)

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." (1Cor13.13)


God's message for me today is coupled with an old worship song revived by my favorite band, Jars of Clay. Allow me to share them with you...


They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love
Artist: Jars of Clay

We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
And we pray that our unity will one day be restored
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
Yeah they'll know we are Christians by our love

We will work with each other, we will work side by side
We will work with each other, we will work side by side
And we'll guard each man's dignity and save each man's pride
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
Yeah, they'll know we are Christians by our love.



Today's Devotion

January 22

On Loving and Praying


I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you (Matthew 5:44, New American Standard Bible).

Scripture: Matthew 5:43-48

Song: "They'll Know We Are Christians by Our Love"

The meeting was called to order. The question: Should we continue having Sunday evening worship services? Attendance was low, so we were considering home Bible study groups instead. A vote was taken: Sunday night church would continue.

The man sitting behind me bristled. The decision didn't please him, and he didn't hold back his feelings. (I thought about telling him he needed a serious attitude adjustment, but I kept quiet.)

I couldn't forget about his comments. The next time he taught Sunday school, I thought: How can you preach to me about holiness?

I held onto my contempt, though, until God showed me that I was the one sinning. Jesus said, "Love your enemies," but I was holding a grudge against my brother in Christ. Jesus said, "Pray for those who persecute you," but I wasn't even praying for a man who had been kind to me. I realized I'd never be able to love my enemies, if I couldn't even love those who were more than willing to be a friend.

Dear Lord, please bring to my mind those whom You would like me to love, and for whom I ought to pray. In this way, may I become more like You, through the inner workings of Your Spirit. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

This devotion is from the book, 365 Devotions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! Thanks for dropping by. Yes, I would love to know your thoughts.

(The word verification that will appear is a simple automated spam filtering, just ensuring comments being posted are not computer-generated)